Water Damage Stinks! Here’s What To Do About the Smell
Flood Damage in a local Costa Mesa, CA home.
The aftermath of a flood is no picnic, and even after all damaged materials have been removed and the ground floor has been thoroughly dried and cleaned, the smell of mold and sewage can linger for weeks or even months. If your home was recently in a flood, and you’re tired of your home reeking like mold growth and black water, your local Costa Mesa, CA flood restoration team has a few odor removal tips that may be of use to you.
Get Rid of Mildew Smells in the Carpet
One of the biggest culprits for lingering odors post-flood is carpets. If you decided not to replace your carpets after sewage loss, it may be the cause of that bad smell and quite possibly for any adverse health symptoms you or your loved ones have experienced. Some things you can do to get rid of any residual debris and flood water include:
- Completely dry the affected areas and then leave your windows open to allow the room to air out.
- Place dehumidifiers throughout the affected area.
- Treat your carpet with a cleaning solution designed to kill mold growth and bacteria.
- Pour baking soda over the areas your sprayed and leave it on the treated areas for some time, preferably overnight. Vacuum it up in the morning.
If after thoroughly cleaning your carpets your home still smells like black water, clean the air.
Steps for Cleaning the Air
Cleaning the air is fairly simple and involves a few common household items.
- Cat Litter: Cat litter is designed to soak up odors, so place a little bit in each room. Change it out periodically to make sure that it absorbs as much of the residual odor as possible.
- Vinegar: Place bowls of vinegar throughout your home, and in just a few days, your home will be smelling as fresh as it was pre-flood.
- Baking Soda: In addition to using baking soda on your carpets, you can also use it to zap odors from the air.
Mold growth can really stink up your home. To get rid of that bad smell, try utilizing the tips above from your Costa Mesa, CA water damage team. Visit http://www.SERVPROcostamesa.comfor more information on storm damage.
Preparing Pets for Fire Emergencies
Have an Emergency Plan for the safety of your family and pets.
Disasters such as fires can happen to any family in homes across Costa Mesa, CA. You need to consider pet safety as well as your own in the event of a fire. Your pets are vulnerable during fires, too, so it’s vital to have the right pet preparation to ensure they escape the devastating effects of fires and smoke damage.
4 Steps to Prepare your Pets for Fire Emergencies
- Include your pets in your escape plans. If you don’t have a family escape plan in the event of a fire emergency, it’s time to create one now. Have an evacuation plan for pets. Have pet ownership and vaccinations records in a fire box. Decide how to quickly get your pets out without compromising your own safety. Time your escape and work on ways to shave seconds off of your route.
- Practice is essential for your safety and for your pets. Going over your escape plan several times is critical for pet preparation. Train your pet, when possible and applicable to come when called.
- Leave without your pets if necessary. It sounds terrible, but in a worst-case scenario, don’t go back inside to get a pet if it isn’t safe to do so. While you care deeply for your companion and for pet safety, don’t put your own life in danger or the life of a child to save a pet.
- Reduce the risk of fire in your home. The best way to keep yourself and your pets safe in a fire is to never have a fire. Be wary of open flames in your home, such as candles, especially flames in reach of your pets.
A fire emergency is a real concern for any homeowner in Costa Mesa, CA. Pet preparation and safety are important factors as you consider how to avoid fires and how to get out of your home if one starts. Consult the trusted experts for advice on fire safety for pets.
Visit http://www.SERVPROcostamesa.com for more information on fire damage.
The Smoke Damage Timeline
It’s important that you take care of any problems with smoke damage as soon as possible.
If you’ve suffered a fire in your commercial building then you know how difficult it is to get back up and running. Not only do you need to make sure that the fire doesn’t happen twice, but you need your company to thrive. The problem is that some people wait too long when it comes to smoke damage. If you don’t understand why this is a problem, here is what happens when you wait.
Smoke Damage Timeline
- Minutes After a Fire
As soon as the fire is put out, the soot and residue starts to settle in. One of the reasons you want to catch smoke damage early is because it’s easier to stop the effects from happening as quickly. Most smoke will begin to stain surfaces right away.
- Hours After a Fire
It only takes hours after a fire to start to see all of the effects that it had. Your wooden furniture may look rugged and in need of refinishing. You may recognize that anything metal has begun to rust and that the walls are turning yellow. Even your clothes may be permanently stained by the soot damage. In just hours following the fire, your flooring, walls and clothing may sustain enough damage to need replacing.
- Weeks After a Fire
Once you wait weeks after a fire, the soot will have done further damage to surfaces. As the soot embeds itself into the surfaces, it becomes more difficult to clean out. It can completely bury electronics, cause short-circuiting and be impossible to clean out of fabrics.
You never want to wait to have a thorough smoke cleaning performed by restoration specialists. There is enough to worry about when it comes to fire damage to a commercial building in Costa Mesa, CA. It’s important that you take care of any problems with smoke damage as soon as possible. After all, time is of the essence.
Visit http://www.SERVPROcostamesa.com for more information on commercial fire damage.
Picking up the Pieces After a Flood
Contact SERVPRO of Costa Mesa if you experience Residential or Commercial Flooding.
Flood damage can be mitigated, but often even the best precautions fail to protect property against the water wrath of Mother Nature, especially in Costa Mesa, CA. A house can go from pristine to filthy after a flood, and the tricky part is going from flood to clean again.
The EPA has certain cleaning requirements after a flood, which include regulations regarding:
- The type of flood disinfectant used
- In what manner waste is disposed of
- Air quality within the home post-flood
Damaged Items and Property
Personal items are often damaged during a flood. Items in lower floors of buildings are the most effected, while residual moisture can seep higher in buildings after the flood has passed and affect belongings on upper floors. Cleaning requirements regarding personal items are left to the discretion of the owner. If an item can be salvaged and is not too heavily damaged, it may be in the owner’s best interest to keep the article and restore it.
Making a House Livable Again
Beyond structural damage and loss of personal belongings, flood cleanup mainly focuses on making a structure livable again. This requires the removal of mud and sewage that was washed into a structure during high water events, the drying of the area to render the home dry, and the removal of microorganisms that may have spread during and after the flood. Human waste carrying pathogenic organisms could have been washed into the home as sewers were flooded. Mold often grows rampant after flooding, the spores of which are carried throughout the home by currents of air.
It can be important to follow EPA guidelines when it comes to the proper disposal of human waste if it is present in a home after a flood. Cleaning requirements concerning this type of muck can be found on the EPA website or on other pages that focus on flood cleanup. Visit http://www.SERVPROcostamesa.com for more information on storm damage.
SERVPRO can respond immediately to your home after a severe storm.
Three Important Steps To Take After A Storm
Are you stuck with a home that is completely engulfed in flood water? There are certain actions that are necessary to take in order for you to protect your property. Here are three important steps you need to take after the storm to protect your best interests.
1. Tell your mortgage lender immediately. Not only will you most likely be able to waive any late fees on your bill - you may even be able to defer payments if your area has suffered from an extreme weather-related tragedy. That is why it important to take this step before any other.
2. Call your homeowner’s insurance company. The earlier you file a claim, the more likely it is that you will have it quickly approved. Just be prepared to record any water damage and related repairs for their records as well as your own. An insurance adjuster may need to inspect the property, as well, so be prepared for his or her arrival.
3. Find a trusted, professional cleanup company. It is never safe or very effective to clean and repair your home yourself after flood water has left its effects, so you need to find the best local Mesa Verde, CA, residential storm damage service to help you create a thorough cleanup plan that gives you the best chance of restoring your property.
Above all else, make sure that you keep yourself and your family safe after a storm. A flooded home can cause contaminated standing water, electrical dangers and other hazards that you need to be aware of. In some cases, it is best to avoid your property at all costs until local authorities give the all-clear. Once everything has settled down at and around your house, a professional cleanup team can help you figure out how to deal with flood water and its related damage so you and your loved ones can be safe and happy in your home once more.
How the Pros Will Clean up Sewer Damage in Your Building
Sewage backup is contaminated with biological viruses and bacteria, SERVPRO has the experience and the equipment for sewer cleanup.
If you smell a foul, almost unbearable odor in your Downtown Costa Mesa, CA, office building, you may have dreaded sewer damage. The terrible smell may be bad enough, but the effects of sewage issues can also be harmful. This isn’t a problem you can put off for a minute. Luckily, there are trained professionals in the area who can safely and effectively handle sewer cleanup and get your facility back to normal.
How Does It Happen
If sewage makes its way into your office, you probably wonder how in the world it got there. There are different ways in which this can occur. Some of these may not be due to your own neglect at all.
• Sewer backup from the main city line
• Overflowing toilet or toilets
• Broken or leaky pipes
Let the Pros Take Over
A flooded toilet may seem like a minor issue, but it could bring potential harm into your building. Toilet water could contain feces and other material that could make you or others ill if you were to come into contact with it. A skilled sewage cleanup team has the experience and equipment to battle small and large commercial flooding, including ones that require major sewer cleanup.
Water Removal and Drying
First, a trained technician will use heavy-duty extraction machines to thoroughly suck up all water from the ground, walls, ceiling and furniture from your office. Once the team removes all water from the premises, it will completely dry the area by using powerful fans
Cleaning and Sanitizing
Getting rid of water is hardly all the company will do. The crew will next disinfect the space to kill all remaining microbes and materials. You can have peace of mind knowing that the company will only use safe and effective chemicals to leave you with an office you can once again feel comfortable with.
Never trust sewer cleanup to anyone but a highly qualified specialist. With these steps, you can have confidence the technicians will get your office back to pre-flood condition.
Mold Removal in Business Properties
SERVPRO of Costa Mesa knows the importance of proper gear when working with mold.
Mold Removal Process In Business Properties
Restaurants, warehouses and other businesses are heavily regulated, especially when it comes to the food and health industries. Unfortunately, while these regulations help to mandate inspections and possibly temperature settings, they cannot account for unforeseen circumstances, like mold growth and the possible development of black mold. Thankfully, in these situations, there are certified professionals who can help remove the problem and restore order to your business. Most of these mold removal experts follow the same removal process.
1. Safety and Containment
Before entering a space, remediation experts will suit up, meaning that they will put on respirators, goggles and gloves at a minimum. These uniforms ensure that spores do not end up in their lungs during the remaining phases. Additionally, the contaminated spaces will be sealed off from the rest of the property with plastic sheeting, and it will be vented to the outside.
2. Drying Out the Space
All types of fungus, including black mold, require a moist environment. Therefore, before moving on to the cleanup phase, remediation experts will want to ensure that any water issues are resolved and that the space is as dry as possible. They will likely use pumps, dehumidifiers, shop vacs and fans during this process.
3. Tear Down and Debris Removal
The next phase will likely require the removal of drywall and insulation to some extent as well as the pulling up of carpets and the discarding of other porous items. While some elements may be salvageable, depending on the severity of the infestation, most things will be thrown away.
4. Mold Cleanup
A mold remediation specialist in the Downtown Costa Mesa, CA, area will likely have the training and certifications to deal with the final cleanup. They will use specialized cleansers and disinfectants to ensure that the colony is removed correctly.
Large facilities are difficult to maintain, and sometimes this difficulty can lead to the colonization of spores and black mold. Thankfully, there are experts with an established routine for dealing with fungal infestations to help you restore your property.
3 Benefits of Keeping Electronic Insurance Files With a Storm Damage Claims Information Center
SERVPRO offers insurance claim information service centers
Benefits of a Claims Information Center
When you are an insurance agent, keeping up multiple claims after a major weather disaster in Fairview Park, CA, can be daunting. Each insurance claim is different and your clients likely all expect top-tier service, no matter how many files you are handling. However, you can streamline these claims and help each claimant more efficiently by utilizing the many benefits of a storm damage and restoration claims information center.
1. Information at Your Fingertips
When you work with a national claims information center with a storm damage response vendor, you can access information for any file whenever you wish. A phone call or accessing an online dashboard gives you instant access to all types of claim information, from the type of loss to where the business is located. This type of information retrieval can help you assist your insurance clients more efficiently.
2. Access To Cost Information
If your insurance customers need help filing a claim for a business loss, working with an information center can help you do so with more speed and accuracy. Job files costs and estimates are available once you sign into the dashboard, and you can view the results from almost any mobile device. This can be useful when visiting damaged businesses and speaking with owners who need such information to finish filing their claims.
3. Consistent Claims Updates
Estimates and the circumstances of an ongoing claim can change. However, companies who offer insurance claim information service centers, such as SERVPRO, can help you track estimate changes easily. Each time a file is uploaded into the system, any changes made can be viewed and noted as you help your client complete the claim. This may result in a faster payout for the business owner and fewer stressful moments for you.
Working with multiple business owners after a natural disaster in Fairview Park, CA, can be difficult for you as an insurance representative. However, when you work with a claims information center, you may be able to handle each insurance claim with more efficiency.
Drain Cleaners and Pipes: What You Should Know
Clogged drain in a Wimbledon Village, CA home
Drain Cleaners and Pipes
Do you have a clogged drain in your Wimbledon Village, CA, home? If so, you are probably wondering if you should use drain cleaner to remedy the problem. Before you grab that bottle, here are a few things you should know about these cleaners and their safety when they come into contact with pipes.
1. Severely blocked drains can cause issues. If you try to use a cleaner on a drain that is completely clogged, you likely won't have good results from the application. Furthermore, if you are dealing with a greasy buildup, the cleaner will probably simply allow it to slide down, This could lead to a more deeply clogged drain that may require professional help to clean up. Use an organic solution if you are dealing with an unusual clog.
2. Cleaners are bad for old metal pipes. Older pipes tend to be weaker. Since they are softer and drain cleaner produces heat, using such a solution may damage or warp your metal piping. Avoid using chemical cleaner on older metal piping — opt for mechanical solutions, such as plungers, as an alternative.
3. Plastic pipes are delicate, too. If you have soft plastic pipes, the heat reaction caused by cleaners can cause the same warping and destruction that happens with aging metal pipework. If you plan on using such a solution on plastic pipes, consider using an eco-friendly, gentle formula or calling a professional.
4. You may need to call for sewage cleaning assistance. If your clogged drain has lasted too long and caused sewage buildup in your home, do not hesitate to contact residential water damage restoration specialists for cleanup help. Professionals can typically arrive on the scene quickly after an emergency, survey the issue and create a cleanup plan.
Don't try to resolve a complicated problem with drain cleaner alone. If you need help with your drain issues and do not know what to do, seek the aid of a plumbing professional who understands the pesky nature of drainage blocks.
Top-Performing Air Purifiers To Remove Mold Spores From Your Home
Ozone generators destroy bacterial cells
Top-Performing Air Purifiers
When mold becomes a problem in your home in South Coast Metro, CA, it is important to have a professional removal done by experts. However, you may still feel more secure if you use an air filtration system of some kind to help keep mold spores at bay. It can be hard to sift through the huge variety of products to find the right one for your home. Here is a simple guide to some of the best types available.
Activated Carbon Air Filter
A micro-particle filtration stage captures mold spores. At the same time, powder-activated, granular-activated or treated-carbon filters absorb the captured particulates.
Ozone generators work by producing ozone, which destroys bacterial cells. This air filtration process removes odors and other irritants.
HEPA Filtration Systems
High Efficiency Particulate Air filters are made up of pleated fins that prevent large particles from passing through. They effectively block most mold, viruses and odors.
Electrostatic Air Purifiers
An electrical charge removes particles from the air with a series of positive and negative charges. They are trapped on a metal filter, which can be washed and reused. This is a quiet, low-energy unit that can trap most contaminants.
Ionic Air Purifier
An ionic air purifier is similar to an electrostatic model but only uses negative ions to draw the particles inside where they attach to filters. It’s comparable to the way a television screen attracts dust.
An ultraviolet purifier actually kills virus cells and mold spores by damaging their DNA. This model should include a HEPA filter and works best near the HVAC system to prevent collection of dust and the growth of mold.
Most of these air filtration systems will remove airborne particulates and odors. For a good evaluation and recommendation of the type that best suits the mold issues in your home in South Coast Metro, CA, call a mold removal service. Once you get it in place, you can breathe free again.