Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Every fire damage event looks different and the scope of damage can range from minor soot and smoke damage to a complete structural loss. The primary concern should always be the safety of you and others on your property. But once the flames have been put out and the smoke has settled, what is the next step?
Our SERVPRO of Costa Mesa team is always on call and available for an immediate response following a fire loss. While you wait for our SERVPRO professionals to arrive at the site of the loss, take a minute to review our Fire Damage Tips! These tips give you a better idea of what to do post-fire.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (949) 566-8887
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.