What Are the Tenants’ and Building Owner’s Responsibility After a Fire?
An apartment fire in Downtown Costa Mesa,CA can be devastating for both tenants and the building owner. If your rental properties have been damaged by a fire, you may be unsure of your financial responsibilities as the building owner. There are several categories of damage, however, and this will determine who covers the cost of the damage.
The Building Owner’s Financial Responsibility
After a fire occurs, the building owner should file an insurance claim in order to see what home owner’s insurance will cover. Often, insurance will help to cover the costs, but regardless of what insurance will or will not cover, the building owner is responsible for:
- The cost of structural damage to the building
- The cost to fix or replace plumbing, electrical and other necessary systems
The Tenants’ Financial Responsibility
Once tenants’ apartments have sustained damage from an apartment fire, tenants may also find it helpful to contact their own insurance company to see what renter’s insurance will and will not cover. The tenants are responsible for:
- The cost of personal belongings that have been damaged or destroyed, such as clothing, televisions, computers and other items
- The cost of furniture and upholstery
After a fire, business owners and tenants have additional responsibilities that they should fulfill in order to make the restoration process as simple and quick as possible. Potentially helpful steps to take may include:
- Both the tenants and the building owner documenting the damage and losses
- The building owner discussing temporary housing options with the tenant; the cost of temporary housing is often covered by the tenant’s insurance
- Checking with the fire department in order to know when it is safe to reenter the apartment
Knowing your responsibilities after an apartment fire can help to expedite the restoration process. When restoring your buildings, it might be helpful to work with fire damage restoration experts who can help to safely and efficiently clean and restore your building.